Kegel Exercises and Muscle Tone
- Locate the PC muscle:
Many people begin doing kegel exercises but are actually squeezing the wrong muscle. Before you start the exercises, find your PC muscle.
The best way to find your PC muscle is to insert one finger into the vagina and try to squeeze down around your finger. When you feel your muscles tightening around your finger you're squeezing your PC muscle. You may also feel a kind of lifting in that area as you squeeze and then a dropping down as you release.
Another common suggestion is to stop the flow of urine while you're peeing. The muscles you use to do that are part of the PC muscle group. Doing this often or for prolonged periods of time isn't a good idea though, so if you're able to user your finger that's the recommended route.
- Start your kegel exercises:
The basic exercise can be done anytime and anywhere. Just squeeze your PC muscles as hard as you can, and hold them. This is doing a kegel exercise. Start by squeezing and holding for a count of 3-5 seconds, then release and relax for 5 seconds. When you release, notice how your muscles feel. The first time you do a kegel exercise see how many times you can do it before you feel your muscles getting tired.
Your kegel exercises will be most efficient and have the most impact if you get into doing sets of repetitions of squeezing. Start with doing 5 repetitions (squeeze/hold/release).
- Building strength:
Do your exercises every couple of days increasing both the length of time you hold the squeeze for, and the number of exercises per set. As a guideline, try to work up to a point where you can hold the squeeze for ten seconds. And try to work up to doing ten reps of kegel exercises per set. So you squeeze, hold for ten second, release, relax for ten seconds, and repeat ten times.
- Do your kegel exercises three or four times a day.
Try to take three or four times in the day to do kegel exercises. Again, everyone is different, but as a guideline try to do ten reps per session, holding for ten seconds on each exercise.
- Vary the intensity and time in kegel exercises.
You can also try to vary the intensity of your squeezing and the amount of time you hold the squeeze in a set. Once you’re comfortable that you're doing the exercises properly try a set where you do rapid squeeze and release. Experiment with how long you can comfortably hold a squeeze. Remember not to push yourself to the point of pain or discomfort.
- Using products for resistance kegel exercises.
Most people use a kegel exercise device to add resistance to kegel exercises. Sex educators suggest it increases the usefulness of the exercise, doing them on your own is still a great way to develop your PC muscle. If you are interested in purchasing a product for kegel exercises, be sure to look at the selection here.
Also visit these sites for more information.
Kegel Exercises For Men
Kegel Exercises For Women
- At the beginning, remember to regularly check that you are exercising your PC muscle, and not other muscles. Avoid contracting your abdominal, thigh, or buttocks muscles.
- You don’t need to set aside a big chunk of time to do kegel exercises. Do a few reps while doing your every day chores. In the last ten minutes before lunch, when you’re sitting at a desk, do a few reps.
- Like any exercise, it’s important to build up slowly, and pay attention to your body. If you are experiencing pain or discomfort, you are pushing yourself too hard.